Nellie

Nellie

Friday, August 12, 2011

Epilogue to the "my roommate never talks to me" episode


The very next Tuesday as I sat with Nellie, preparing tea and taking down Christmas lights, Mrs. Hooper wheeled slowly out of the room, calling back in her quavery old lady voice, "I'm going down the hall now--see you later, sweetheart!"
            I raised my eyebrows at Nellie. "Look--she said something!"
            "Oh, she's always saying something. I don't know what she's taking about." Her tone indicated that she'd much rather her neighbor just kept quiet.
            I couldn't believe my ears. Well, to be truthful, I could believe and had suspected that this was the case all along, but I couldn't let Nellie get away with it. I lifted my hands in a gesture of confusion. "But last week you told me she never talked to you at all!" Just as I'd expected, she had no answer. She only ducked her head guiltily and giggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment