Nellie

Nellie

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Rabbit

    My sister is expecting a baby. Since Nellie always asks me to tell her something interesting, I relayed the happy news to her. True to form, her first response was rather pessimistic. "I guess you feel sad, then," she said.
    I didn't follow. "Huh? Why would I be sad?"
    "Because you don't have a baby," she replied, as if it were only logical.
    "Oh, no, no, no. I'm not sad at all!" I don't think she believed me at first. Finally I convinced her that really I was very happy for my sister--and even more, I would be an aunt again!
    When I came back the next week, Nellie presented me with a stuffed rabbit--the kind with a carrot, the kind one always sees at Easter, even though it was nearer Thanksgiving than spring. I raised my eyebrows at her. "What's this for? Is it for me?"
    "No, it's for the baby," she answered.
    "The baby?" The connection wasn't immediately obvious, since my sister's baby wasn't due for at least seven months.
    "Yes, yes, your sister's baby. You must save it for two years and then give it to her."
    I chuckled. "Ohhh. I see. Well, alright." I started to poke it into the bag with the tea things.
    "Don't do that!" she commanded. "It'll make him dirty." I rolled my eyes at her and started to put him in my purse instead.
    "No, not there either. That will mess him up."
     So I carried the rabbit under my arm out to the car, where I carefully stuffed him into my purse. What Nellie doesn't know can't hurt her!

No comments:

Post a Comment